The Museum of Pop Culture, in partnership with the Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF), and in conjunction with the fourteenth annual Science Fiction + Fantasy Film Festival announces the launch of an additional submission track for up and coming young filmmakers interested in having their films seen by science fiction and fantasy fans in Seattle and all over the world. A jury comprised of MoPOP’s Youth Advisory Board and staff will review the qualifying submissions and the best films will then be screened at SFFSFF 2019 alongside the other films in the festival.
Please read the general guidelines carefully, and take note of the instructions in the right column of the submission form.
For complete rules and regulations, visit https://www.mopop.org/sffsff
From November 9 through December 31, 2018 the Science Fiction + Fantasy Short Film Festival is accepting short film submissions from Young Filmmakers 24 years of age or younger that meet the following requirements:
- Up to 15 minutes in length*
- Produced after January 2014
- Animated or live-action
- Science fiction or fantasy (examples: futuristic stories, space adventure, technological speculation, social experiments, utopia and dystopia, sword and sorcery, folklore, urban fantasy, magic, and mythic adventure)
Submissions will be accepted according to the rules and regulations, and judged based on originality, quality, artistic merit, innovation, voice, style and narrative. We welcome submissions that step outside the boundaries of reality and inspire a sense of wonder. * Films that exceed 15 minutes may still be considered for the festival, but will not be eligible for awards.
A jury comprised of MoPOP’s Youth Advisory Board, MoPOP staff, and SIFF will choose the best films which will then be screened at SFFSFF 2019 alongside the other films in the festival and the top three films will win a number of special prices. Submissions will be judged based on originality, quality, artistic merit, innovation, voice, style, and narrative.
Nov 9, 2018 Youth Call For Entries Opens
Dec 31, 2018 Youth Call For Entries Closes
Jan 18, 2019 Notification of acceptance
Feb 8, 2019 Film prints due
March 2019 Festival (exact date TBA)
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Science Fiction + Fantasy Short Film Festival promotes and encourages an awareness, appreciation and understanding of the art of science fiction and fantasy cinema. Its mandate is to create a forum for creative artistry in science fiction and fantasy film and recognize the most outstanding short films produced.
Selected films must be made available for Festival presentation as high resolution digital files (2k or 1080p resolution [.mov file encoded using Apple ProRes 422 or equivalent pro codec] or hi-res mpeg-4 file). Failure to provide the film in the format indicated may result in the film being dropped from the festival. No exceptions will be permitted. Foreign language films must be made available with the original language soundtrack and English subtitles.
REQUIRED SUBMISSION MATERIALS
• Password protected link to online screener (Vimeo or YouTube) or one digital copy of the film, no larger than 500 MB, and in any of the following formats: .avi, mov .mpg*
• Film description and synopsis (50-200 words) Incomplete entries will not be considered. *If you’re unable to provide a digital screener, please mail two DVD copies of the film, clearly marked with title, director and contact phone/e-mail. DVDs must be submitted in plastic safe cases and formatted in MPEG video for Region 1/North America. Please test your consumer-burned DVD on several makes and models of players. DVD+RW and DVD-RW are NOT acceptable. DVDs will not be returned. Mail DVDs to: MoPOP / ATTN: Film Festival / 120 6th Ave N #100 / Seattle, WA 98109
* TERMS AND CONDITIONS
*Science Fiction + Fantasy Short Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Science Fiction + Fantasy Short Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered. By signing your name below, you authorize that you have read and understood and hereby agree to the general festival rules.